Commentary: Vergara Lawsuit Could Be “Monumental”
EdSource commentary on Vergara v. California: “the biggest potential change to sweep California public education since Serrano v. Priest.”
From Dave Welch
Students Matter Founder Dave Welch urges education stakeholders to stop pushing out student-focused district leaders like Superintendents Deasy and Raymond.
Plaintiffs File Motion Opposing Summary Judgment
Filing highlights key evidence from districts, Plaintiffs and expert witnesses.
Our Team | Legal Team
Enrique A. Monagas
Enrique A. Monagas is an associate in the San Francisco office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. He is a member of the firm’s Litigation Department, concentrating his practice on appellate, constitutional law, crisis management, and complex litigation matters.
Recent representative matters include representing the plaintiffs in the pending federal constitutional challenge to California’s ban on same-sex marriage, Proposition 8; securing the dismissal of two toxic tort cases against Dole Foods because of fraud on the court by plaintiffs and their counsel; representing Chevron in pending high stakes proceedings stemming from the oil operations of Chevron’s subsidiary, Texaco, in Ecuador.
Recently, Mr. Monagas was selected as one of The Recorder’s 50 “Fast Track” lawyers, recognizing California attorneys whose early accomplishments indicate they will be tomorrow’s top lawyers and leaders.
In 2011, the National LGBT Bar Association named Mr. Monagas as one of the recipients of its annual “Best LGBT Lawyers Under 40” award.
Mr. Monagas earned his J.D. from the University of California Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law in 2005, where he served as an Editor of the Berkeley Journal of Gender, Law & Justice. While attending law school, he was an extern law clerk for Judge Kim McLane Wardlaw, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Mr. Monagas received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of California, Berkeley in 1998.
Mr. Monagas is fluent in Spanish.
• “Gay Marriage and the Law: Same-Sex Marriage Litigation and Defense of Marriage Act Repeal Efforts,” ABA Section of Litigation, Annual CLE Conference, April 2012.
• “Perry v. Schwarzenegger: A Ringside View from the Plaintiffs’ Corner,” Duke Law School Conference & Retreat, June 2011.
• Keynote Address, Cruz Reynoso Social Justice and Judicial Externship Fellowship Dinner, February 2011.
• “An Analysis of the Ninth Circuit Oral Arguments in the Federal Challenge to California’s Proposition 8,” Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom (BALIF), December 2010.
• “California’s Assembly Bill 205, The Domestic Partner Rights and Responsibilities Act of 2003: Is Domestic Partner Legislation Compromising the Campaign for Marriage Equality?,” Hastings Women’s Law Journal, Vol. 17, No. 1 (2006).